Sunday, November 11, 2012

First Aid Kit, 10/20/12





GODDESSES. That’s probably the only way to really sum up First Aid Kit. I guess a few other words could do the job as well: exquisite, beautiful, inspired. I went to see them a few weekends ago (October 20th) at the Neptune in Seattle. Laura Gibson, a sweet lil’ Portlander, opened for the Swedish sisters.
Laura played an assortment of songs from her new and past albums. She has a sweet, bright voice which was accompanied by lilting harmonies, rhythmic drums, and simple guitar picking. Glorious. The only thing that I felt detracted from the performance was the way she opened every song with a description of what the listener would be hearing and the context in which she wrote that particular song. I like when bands shed light on one or two of their compositions, but I think it’s also quite nice to interpret a song for what it is without a backstory. I guess I could’ve just covered my ears for that part. That wouldn’t have been too obnoxious, right?
Then came the main event: FIRST AID KIT. This cool, super-Scandinavian pan-flute music started playing, the lights dimmed, and finally the Swedish super-duet emerged. Their flowy, paisley, floor length dresses followed them as they strutted to the front of the floor where they grabbed their instruments and started. Ahhhh loved every minute of it. If their show had a recipe it would be: 2 beautiful voices & souls, a dash of theatricality, 1 cup of dead-on harmony, a pinch of Swedishness, and 3 tears (produced by me). My favorite part of the night was when they unplugged, came to the front of stage, and played Ghost Town, a song from an old album. The neck pain the next day was so worth it. Another highlight was their cover of America, originally by Simon and Garfunkel. Inspired.
It was a great night, one that I won’t soon forget. Even though my friends and I didn’t get to talk in person with the Johanna and Klara after the show, I know my day will come. My consolation is that during their performance, I truly believe that both of the sisters made extended eye contact with me. Yes, yes, probably wishful thinking. But I swear on all of the beautiful countries in Scandinavia, they looked at me. With my toothy grin and camera around my neck, they stared into my soul. They knew what I wanted to tell them, they knew that I was telepathically communicating the phrase: You are goddesses. You are wonderful.  And that’s all they (and you) need to know.

-Olivia Ash, LASR Personnel Director

No comments:

Post a Comment